Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Plight of Animals in Egypt

I think I am starting to get a bad reputation in my building as that crazy American that cares far too much about animals, particularly dogs, than any normal person should. I am usually a huge fan of staying out of other people's business, especially as I harbor some very reclusive tendencies of my own. I am not the neighbor that goes about asking to borrow a cup of sugar or an egg. I don't even know the names of the people who live in my building. It is probably a product of spending all of my adult life prior to Egypt in metropolitan LA and San Diego.

But back to the point...the first instance I got involved in my neighbors' business was this summer, when my brother was out visiting. I kept hearing the hysterical barking of a large dog coming from below me...interesting considering that I live on the ground floor. It barked day and night for two days before I finally asked my bo'ab what on earth was going on down in the basement. I learned that one of the Egyptian owners of the building, the family who also own the villa next door, had decided to purchase a puppy but did not want it in the house. They apparently did not want it in the yard, near their villa, or any sort of normal interaction with it either. They had arranged for the bo'ab (who knew nothing about dogs and felt the typical Egyptian abhorrence towards dogs) to take care of the puppy in the basement.

My brother and I set off to investigate downstairs. We found a beautiful 6 month old chocolate lab locked in the room the size of a coat closet. It had no access to fresh water or food and was literally living in its own defecation...and anyone who knows dogs knows they would never do that unless they had not been given any other choice in a place to relieve themselves. It was starved for love and attention, the whole incident broke my heart. We immediately set to work, giving instructions on water and food. We took it out on a leash, I retrieved some of my dog treats and food from my apartment. The puppy was still healthy but it would not be for long if it was regulated to the basement indefinitely. I felt myself filled with rage...how could anyone rich enough to own two buildings in Cairo not feed their dog or take proper care of it? Why on earth did they even purchase this dog if they did not intend to interact with it? Sadly, it was a phenomenon I had seen a great deal in Egypt. I anguished over whether to directly confront the family or call my own landlord. My landlord is a dog owner herself, and a responsible one. I opted for the later option and I was happy to listen to her react with utter fury about the situation. I learned the next day (after my brother and I had set off on a trip to the Western desert) that the police had actually come and taken the dog away. I have no idea what happened to the poor creature. I can't think that its fate was any better. I only hope that it made it to one of the very few animal rescue organizations here in Egypt. I vowed that next time I might become more involved.

Next time has come, though not nearly as drastic. The same family has purchased a puppy German shepherd that is regulated to the small patch of grass outside the building and tended to by the bo'ab and building guard. I went out to investigate the situation this morning...I am not the only person who has taken notice. A British couple in the building across the street is also concerned with the situation and has brought the dog food. It has no direct access to water and is in not so great of health. I went through my usual sermon to the bo'ab of why the dog must have access to fresh water at all times...not to mention getting a walk. But he said this was up to the owner. Shall I join forces with my Anglo counterparts across the street and take this poor dog into my care? I am already the cat friendly house that provides a constant supply of cat food on my kitchen window ledge. I am probably going to join forces with the Army vet at the Navy Medical Research Unit Three and start taking the cats I can catch in for spade/neuter. The population is severely out of control. I refuse to be dissuaded by the argument that no one can make a dent in any problem afflicting Cairo.

The treatment of animals in Egypt bothers me as much as the people living in garbage cities. I often see goats heading to their slaughter tied down in the flat beds of pickups, or even put in trunks. I hate going to the pyramids not only because of the hassling, but because of the nearly starved horses and camels I see carrying tourists. I remember the shock on an American veterinarian's face when our Nile cruise group were taken by horse to one of the many ancient temples here in Egypt. He started examining the horses in sheer disgust and sadness.

There have been some bright spots. My friends who own a bed and breakfast in Luxor send much of their profits to a woman running an animal rehabilitation center in the area. The bed and breakfast owner has her own animals she has rescued as well, including a pet donkey, rabbits, a beautiful Afghan hound and other creatures.

I don't understand the mistreatment of animals in a society that long ago used to embalm their animals like they did their kings and queens. Well, it is not the same society I suppose...I am being guilty of essentialism. Everything must be considered in its historical context. I'll end this now that Sabah is calling me...she wants to know if I would like to attend the the goat slaughter at her house for Eid Al Adha. I should ask Alanis Morissette if that is ironic...

No comments:

Post a Comment